We Need COVID #ReliefNOW
America is almost a year into the most devastating economic crisis since the Great Depression. In addition to taking nearly 500,000 lives and leaving millions more with lifelong preexisting conditions, the coronavirus pandemic has exposed deep flaws in our economy. The relief bills passed by Congress last year provided just a fraction of what’s needed to get people through this crisis and start recovering. That’s why Tax March and its coalition partners and organizers nationwide are calling on lawmakers to immediately pass a full, fast, and fair COVID relief package that gets critical funds directly in the hands of those who need it. Our country has the resources to care for its people. What we can’t afford is the cost of millions of people sick, unemployed, drowning in debt, unhoused and desperate. We need and deserve #ReliefNOW.
We can’t afford to wait. Americans need full COVID relief NOW.
- Since the start of the pandemic, 22.2 million jobs have been lost. 10.1 million Americans are still out of work and job growth is slowing down.
- More than 1 in 3 adults, or nearly 83 million adults, are struggling to cover basic household needs.
- 1 in 5 renters, an estimated 13.2 million adults, have fallen behind on rent payments.
- An average family of three has ~$63,000 in annual expenses, but just $4,700 has been provided through two rounds of direct relief payments.
- In the past 11 years, CEO compensation has grown by 53 percent, the minimum wage, 0 percent. 32 million workers deserve a raise.
- 11.4 million workers will lose unemployment benefits on March 14. Americans need sustained benefits until economic indicators show a complete recovery
The American Rescue Plan is unifying. In fact, 72 percent of Americans support the $1.9 trillion package which includes direct payments, expanded unemployment insurance, and a long overdue minimum wage boost. Compare that to the just 29 percent of Americans who supported the 2017 Republican tax law which gave $1.9 trillion in tax breaks to the wealthy. If we can cut taxes for millionaires through reconciliation, we can raise wages for workers and deliver vital relief that way too.
Full, fast, and fair relief is possible, and we can’t afford to wait. Pass full COVID relief NOW.
Call your Senator at (202) 224-3121
See our ads below: